What does it mean to be anxious? Though there are many explanations for the word anxiety, Oxford dictionary defines anxiety as below
- an uncomfortable feeling of nervousness or worry about something that is happening or might happen in the future
- something that causes a feeling of fear and worry
Irrespective of your age, you could be a victim of being anxious at some point in your lifetime.But if you are a slave to being anxious every second of your life, it’s high time that you come out its clutches. You don’t have to confess openly if you are anxious, ask your minds what is your cause for worry? Is that eating you up day and night? Being anxious day and night can slowly deteriorate your health as well, it can make you mentally and physically weak.
What could be your reason to be anxious? I asked few people around and they gave me below reasons –
- Most of them were anxious about their future, students were anxious about their exams, youths were anxious about the security of their jobs, parents were worried about the fate of their children.
- Anxious about future prospective life partners
- Many were worried about the death of their dear ones and their own as well
and many more…
God holds all of our lives in his hands and is the only one who can calm our anxious minds. When we frantically struggle to put the pieces of our life together on our own, we will fail.
The only way to gain peace in the midst of anxiety is to turn to God, trusting in His perfect will and His power to hold us in His hands. The best way to remember this truth is to look to the Bible.
Here are some verses to help us remember God’s provision in the midst of anxiety.
- Phil 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
- John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
- Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Psalm 94:19 When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.
- Psalm 34:4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.
- 1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
- Isaiah 41:13 For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
When we feel anxious and afraid we can take comfort in knowing that God is reaching out His hand to us to help us trust Him and walk with Him.While anxiety can feel overpowering or terrifying, we should not fear, but rather trust in the perfect and never-changing love and peace of God.